Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Conservation Volunteer



Yesterday I went with Conservation Volunteer Australia (CVA) to a forest called Gembrook park somewhere in Dandenong. I did this as part of my SALP community service and wanted to experience something different. I have never been to a forest before and it was quite an unique experience. What we did was just simply put some wired on wooden bridges, removed weeds in edges of the forests. Some local old people had been doing this for years, and they were quite happy with this kind of simple country life style. I talked to them about life and was astonished to find out that how simple a life can be. Jenny, a woman born in England, immigrated to Melbourne when she was 9, became a cook for 20 years since she finished school. Now she has two daughters and a boyfriend, and works as a part time housekeeping. It is as simple as this. I ask myself: "Do I really like this kind of life?" The answer is "NO". I prefer to work harder and competitive rather than working in a restaurant, and have a stable life. I make up mind that I will go to Singapore to find opportunity. There is something more important than money and big house in life.

I am sick of looking people around me working jobs they don’t like. Last Monday, I met Naomi again. she was still the same - a professional "job quitter". She is a typical 20-something young Aussie, has lots of ambitious but too lazy to achieve. I also met Dave, a guy had made 20+ short films. He is a professional "job sacker". He told me that one day he was sack because he told his boss he was there only for the money. Quite funny huh? But how many people at work are not for the money? How many people are really like what they are doing in life? Life is a commitment, you cannot be happy without doing anything but dreaming. You have to tell yourself "I like my job", or " I am happy because I did not waste my time today", otherwise, you will always live in darkness and don’t know where your are heading to.

I admit I have quite negative personality. I want to change, but, who will guide me through?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home