Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The first day, a final year

First day back to uni, hmm…at least for most of the others, new anticipations for a challenge year. I start my day running on my toes. I finalized my timetable, bought all the textbooks and liaised with my volunteer with C&E (Career & Employment) by 4pm today. Monday has always been a busy day for me.

This year I feel a bit different from the previous years. Firstly, I am living with different people in a different location and will have a different living habit.

Secondly, I have more practical subjects than my last two years. There is one that I have to conduct a project with an allocated organization. I know I have strong skills in project management field. Recently, I have found a qualified professional title for this field, called PMP (Project Management Profession). This is an international recognized certificate, equivalent to CPA. Working experience plus tests, it is not an easy title to enquire. This is the goal I have to achieve in ten years or less.

Lastly, as most Arts subjects are mixed with 2nd/3rd year level students, when I say: “I am in final year.” I feel so old. The others response in a terrified expression: “Oh, so you are leaving by the end of this year!” Yes, I know. Many of my friends are thinking to take either master or honour to extend their uni life. For me, if I have unlimited budget, I definitely will go for my plan A – to pursue a master degree in commerce. However, I have to lower down my expectations and stand on the solid ground. I have no choice but go out to work. The confronting doubts are can I get a job? What kind of jobs can I get? I have no more excuses to ignore the graduate programs and companies listed in the C&E, although half of them I can not apply because of my national status. Now, several company recruitment brochures are lying on my study desk. They keep reminding me to compete with others for those limited amount of graduate intakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home