Friday, March 18, 2005

Heaps more to learn in the rest of life!

8:30 in the morning, a long queue was winding outside the executive lounge in the post-graduate building. I was one of the units. What are we queuing for? It would be a FMCG competitive game organised by P&G inside the lounge. P&G is one of the consumer focused organisations that recruits student for marketing positions. The fact is to generate such enormous responses is because of its emphasis on posting new recruits to Singapore straight away! It is indeed very tempting. I would love to apply if their first hurdle does not require Australian permanent residency.

“The consumer is the boss” is the theme of the game. It is mainly consumer and market knowledge (CMK) orientated. Given us a real P&G market development case study, a group of six had to decide which strategies should go for. The steps and strategy outcome were based on our evaluation of the research throughout the whole campaign process. Our team was just a bit swayed away from the succeed result. However, from participating in such a game, I have discovered a fatal weakness of myself– that is lack of marketing knowledge. Before, I thought marketing could be learnt through real world interactions; yet hearing other Master of Marketing students talked about their ideas, I felt myself stuck. I wanted to express my opinion, but I don’t know how to support my preference. My knowledge went like blank. There are heaps more I have to learn. The gloomy thing is, I will graduate at the end of this year and will not come back to study in a few years time.

I would like to take some intellectual stimulated job. Whereas, there are thousands of people have the same thoughts out there and lining their applications for these well-established companies.

One thing made me feel better was, even those studying commerce/law or master did not seem to be much smarter than me. I have my strength which I had demonstrated in the group discussion. On the other hand, I still not dare to speak out my opinion. One reason is I am shy sometimes; but mostly counted to my lack of back up knowledge and experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home