Friday, March 04, 2005

An unfair truth

I am still pending for the approval to my subject appeal from the Associated Dean. This unreasonable matter is hovering around my head in the whole week and will extend to Monday. I am tired with the Melbourne Arts faculty. Anyway, I definitely need to get those subjects approved, and have no reason to compel to this ridiculous and unfair situation. Complain and being irritated only makes my situation worse. The only thing I can do with those slackers is just wait and plan for the further appeal pathway. If my appeal is not successful on Monday, I am going to send my appeal to the vice-chancellor and spread words to the student union magazine. Don’t forget, I am a media student. I have a will and ways to spread words around quickly.

I talked to one of my HEWSO team mates Sing, a post-graduate commerce student, her suggestion was inspirational, “Strive to get your subject approved, then get the hell out of this city.”

Apparently, Sing is not content with the academic level of Melbourne Master degree. Together with other considerations, I have discarded my plan to pursue for further master study in Melbourne. Firstly, I don’t have enough money. Secondly, I am ready to enter the workplace. However, I know I am still lack of a lot of knowledge in the real world competition. I have always have troubles and been brumpy in my undergrad years. One thing I have learnt from that is I should never give up hope and believe in making “impossible possible”. I have been through the worse state in my life; I will never get back to that time again.

These days I have attended a lot of on campus recruitment info sessions and busy working on my resume. I have a lot of things to put in my resume and I have kept updating it from time to time. The problem comes down to my academic result. I have been working hard for my school works, yet the result is not as good as most people think I should get. My academic achievement has put me into a disadvantage. However, there is always no harm on trying. The field I really want to get into is consultancy. Advertising and marketing will also be considered.

I went to the Boston Consulting Group’s info sessions on Wednesday. There is no doubt that every top student across all disciplines wants to get into this top consulting company. As I could see from the crowd in the info session, I know the competitions out there are fierce. Five to eight students from 3000 thousands applicants, those without good academic results definitely could not be considered in the recruitment short list. A lot of H1 students I know is going to apply, included my tutor, the HEWSO winning team members and lots of my other friends. My humble result and resume will be among theirs. Optimistically, I should feel fortunate as I am not in the BCG recruitment team to go through thousands of applications in a week.

Melbourne is such a small village, everyone knows everyone from different connections. My Intro Micro tutor Stuart is the boyfriend of one of the girl in the HEWSO winning team. The person who inspected my ex-flat becomes my new housemate; and the person who inspected my current house becomes a housemate of my ex-temp housemate’s housemate; and etc. etc. other people involved in our house and HEWSO. Before we discover all these behind the scene connections, we did not know each other. Small world!

The producer of this year’s CTG production is Stanley. I happened to bump into him today, and he asked me to be the ticket manager for this year’s production. I have to think about it although joining CTG is fun. I have got several things on top of my head at the moment, so I will not commit to the new thing before I sort other things out.

Career suddenly listed at the top of my agenda now. I have to start looking for the real job and keeping eyes on the job market as the daily priority now on. Lina and Kate have already got part-time jobs in the accounting fields. They really motivated me as none of them are Australian PR. I can work for Asialink. However, after three months working there, I know what kind of jobs they will offer me. I am not content with that. Asialink is just a spring board for me.

Taking out my anger, ambitious and plan here helps me to relief a little bit. Now is time to get back to study and plan for the new semester, whatever the result will be on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home