Thursday, April 07, 2005

A living from English brewing

Yesterday afternoon was brewing in an English style residential college, with a cup of tea and couples of homemade pastry. The Faculty Student Liaison Officer (SLO), Paris and me had an enjoyable afternoon tea with the SALP an academic board member, a benign nun reside in St. Marry’s college. We spent two hours going through all the applicants and finalize the confirm list of new SALPers. I was a bit embarrassing, as I left my SALP folder at home. I tried to trace bits and pieces of my memory about the applications, and contributed a partial opinion of the “maybe” applicants.

After the selection, the nun lady (I did not get her name) showed us around St. Mary’s college. She was proud of her small tranquil residential college which accommodated 130 students. Living in college is a different experience from living at home or sharing house. I was amazed with the modern designed architectural library as well as the English style atmosphere. This is the kind of life I saw in the old English film. Kids knows each other very well; and they walked around the college (even Uni) on bare foots. For their academic studies, there are private tutoring programs. I wish I could afford to live in a college and experiencing a comfortable life and enjoyment I should have in my age.

While I was reviewing the SALP applications, I also started reviewing my initiative of joining. My initial aim was to gain training as a leader. However, during my role as a SALPer last year, I totally twisted its aim. I did not like any of the options in its database: no disable children, no mental health care, no senior people, no drugs, no crimes, no bad things. However, hearing from other SALPers, I found it would be more fun to interact with the real society. I don’t know if I still have more time to commit to another community organisation. Last year I was so into CTG, this year I may desperate for a proper job. Three-year uni life is too short for me to enjoy its fun and challenging my personal limits.

One of my housemates is so like me that shw wants to do everything and worried about jobs and stuffs. Only in her second year of Property Architect, she is a committee of MUOSS, a new SALPer, taking a short course and a speech evening class. I would want to know how she can be capable with so many things at one time. I find myself do better only committing to one or two things. Once suck into a commitment, I have to do it well. I don’t want to leave the thing at an average standard, I want it to be exceptional.

I am doing quite a lot of things as well. However, this year, I want to study well to lift up my academic achievement. Disappointedly, I have learnt procrastination and have to cut down my social life a bit now.

An afternoon, I had a little nice chat with Freddy, a Street Latin devotee. We were surprised to discover that we both came from Guangzhou. He told me his friendships with 2004 Street Latin intakes. Five or six of them danced exceptionally well after learning for only six months. Those are the dancers I desired I were one of them. Skills come from practice. I need to work hard on my technique if I want to go for medal this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home