Friday, May 20, 2005

Beauty Queen

I am so excited today. After talking to my journalism lecturer, I was instilled with good ideas in my feature piece. My topic is on “balancing beauty as a student”.

Not wasting a minute, I rushed down the timeworn John-Medley stairs to history department aiming to find a Gender/Feminism study lecturer. To my great disappointment, the Gender study lecturer, an old prune, said, “There are loads of students in my class want to see me. Sorry I don’t have time for you …… I don’t think there are anyone in our department will have time for you. They are all busy.” Crap!!! She is busy writing the academic journal which no more than three people will view it, and waiting for an echo in the empty corridor.

I kept trying. Another hit was a Chinese Professor who was “shock” with the questions I asked. Reluctantly, she curtly told me to interview all the people on my list and see if I need to come back to interview her.

That is why I don’t consider myself as an Arts student. In such a prestigious university, professors are like this? Why? Why? Why? The atmosphere in the whole Arts faculty is prevailed with wordless “academic research” . I admired the academic feel of Arts faculty in first year, second year I was indifference, and then I hated it in my third year. Nothing wrong with the academics, I am the only one who changes.

Escaping from the repressive building, I went straight back home and ripped open the untouchable Yellow Page. I looked for an Australian model. An hour later, I had secured an appointment with an Australian model from one of the famous modelling agency.

The third person on my list was Tali, a M&C student and a model at the same time. She was in my ProfWriting Class in first year. I do not have much hope on interviewing her as she is a busy person; and she cheated on our writing task in first year so I do not really like her in a sense.

I was lucky enough to gain a contact with Jess Young, a 2005 Miss Chinese International 2nd up winner. I had a very nice talk with her over MSN. Apparently, she is very talented. I have learnt a lot from her. The most impressive point is that Beauty is not only about appearance and being arrogant, beauty queen is also a normal person. Before the interview, beautiful girls scared me off. Jess gave me a lesson that they also want to make friends, being normal. More will come in my writing. She is a legend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home