Friday, May 27, 2005

a drug case

I was watching the Schapelle Corby verdict online and could not hold back my emotion towards the tears, scream and anger in the Indonesian courtroom. Very obviously she was innocent and was used by drug traffickers. The poor former beauty student did not know a black hole was waiting for her ahead in Bali. Two decades in a foul cell is devastated for an innocent western girl. However, that is how legal system work. No strong evidence was presented, and the whole case fell into “he said, she said” situation, the Indonesian judges chose to believe documents, not her tears. Although I felt deeply sorry for her, I reckon 20 years is a lean verdict as she would have been sentenced for life or even to death.

I could not believe that yesterday was my last semester day in uni! A lot of revisions are piling up on my desk in the coming Swot Vac. So, before the horrified week kicks in, I went to see a student theatre play produced by another theatre group in uni. It is called “insurgence”. My comment is: something different. There is no clearly flow of the script, and the acting are free from scratch. The most impressive part was the technological effects, with new media video production was inconsistently projected on a translucent backdrop. Their choreographic was so post-modern that made most of us lose in the last part of the play. Overall, a cross-cultural new experience and worth ten bucks.

Yesterday in our last marketing economics lecture, John (a reputable economist) spent half the lecture talking about a graph. I was questioning the point he made on the graph, then a student yelled out “… is that right?”. Then John said, with smile on his face, “You are right. I make this mistake every second year.” Then he crossed out the old graph and drew another one with completely different direction. Alas, that is why many economic major students do not want to become economist.

My description to myself in the last two days is “I am a lemon car,” because I was sick and could not jounce muscles in my throat. Every year this time I definitely fall sick in this fickle Melbourne weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home