Monday, June 13, 2005

Marriage

I finally had a nice eight-hour sleep last night by ACCIDENT. My clock was pity my little rest and somehow made it run one and a half hour late than the normal time. Unaware of the bright outside the window, I adjusted two clocks in the house before I realized my alarm clock was wrong.

Despite I am under the exam pressure, there is another matter lingering in my mind at the same time. My aunt is going to divorce. I know this will happen someday as no trust exists between them anymore. It is really sad. Their problem is money conflict. Unshedded their Chinese heritage, family is taken as priority. The problem is: whose family should come first and for how much. For years, they are arguing about how to divide their money and give back to each family members. Each keeps their own money from their small dry cleaning shop, secretly. Little by little, trust faded. As they both confess, if there is no money issue involved, their marriage will be blissful.

I also found out a lot of family history when I talked with aunt last night. Grandma’s image is degraded. Aunt was forced to separate from her six-year long last boyfriend because grandma wanted her to go overseas, or more precisely, grandma wanted to go overseas. This sacrifice is understandable, given the Chinese domestic social environment back in that time. I just fall into a soul-searching when I see grandma is so unhappy and grandpa is confine with no friends in these years. A lot of time, we can not choose how to live. My generation is lucky enough to choose where to go with our life. We are blessed in grace.

Our family has a “tradition” of marrying girls off to overseas. Several cousins were married off by merely seeing photos. I am a lot luckier than them. But grandma and aunt still wanted me to stay in Melbourne and get my parents out of China. That was their intension to sponsor me to come here. Yet, just two months ago, they changed their mind and accepted the fact that I did not like here and would leave here to Singapore next year. Grandma even said, it would be good for your parents to come to VISIT Australia!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home