Thursday, August 25, 2005

Law and Justics

Legal

I feel like there are two sides of me: on one side I am passionate on doing things I like, regardless of money; on the other side is avid of financial well-being. Some people can achieve success on both sides, unfortunately I am not the one. I am still finding my balance point at this stage.

I was quite embarrassed in today’s media law class. The cases in the tutorial hand-out was difficult for me to understand in the first place. I could not even figure out who was suing whom, and made wrong judgements. As the class process, Jack (our lecturer and tutor) was being very helpful and guided me through from blind and mess. For most of the time, law can be very tedious, so much so that we have to read through pages to find a supportive argument and then write another pages of supportive argument for our legal stands. It is costly and a waste of time. But these process is unavoidable.

The night volunteering in the legal service had been going very good, although I could only do one to two cases a night. Tonight’s case was about intervention order and debt collection. Within an effective judicial legal system, collecting a debt could sometimes involve many matters. For this woman I interviewed, although she had a legal written due bill, she had been pursuing for her loan for four years. She even received an intervention order went against her from her debtor. The solicitor’s advice was that if the court, in the end, enforced her debtor to pay her back the loan, there still would be a lot of processes before the enforcement could finally enact. She was upset. But law is made to be that complicated to try to make sure everything is right. The lesson I learn is I must be very careful to lend someone money even though terms and conditions are specified in a bill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home