Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pharmaceutical Matters

I am far too busy to keep track with the things I should have done ages ago. Until tonight, I realize that my visa is about to expire in a weeks time and I haven’t received my skill assessment back from the assessment centre yet. Also, I have not yet confirmed with the post office that whether my PR application documents are safely handed over to the Adelaide immigration department which I should have done a month ago. On top of that, I am busy reading information in regards to managing super funds as I am working in three jobs and all buy me three different super funds. Although I have not yet accumulated a large sum of money in all these funds, it is always better to plan well ahead.

SBS showed this documentary on antibiotic dose on diseases on Sunday night. TB is the most common disease that use antibiotic to cure. Yet, there are still some cases that some patients have developed strong anti drug “super bacteria” which no drugs can kill. This Turkish woman whose TB bacteria was resisted to all the antibiotic drugs said sadly, “I don’t know what kind of pills I am going to take next.” In the end, she passed away … My tears were bursting when I watched this one hour long documentary. Even though she was a rare case, but seeing someone has the same faith as me, I just could not help but crying.

This documentary also shows a fact that drugs are mostly profit driven. There is a 90% failure rate in the development of a new drug; pharmaceutical companies withdraw from the drug development business one after another. It had posed out a profound question: who wants to get into a business that has high risk of loosing money?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home