Monday, February 12, 2007

Chinatown night Safari



Tonight is Saturday night, after suppressing myself in my room with no internet access, I finally got a reward to go Chinatown night market at night. People in Singapore started to celebrate Chinese New Year one month ago. Huge crowd of people squeezed with each other, sweating, on the narrow streets. Pig can be seen everywhere, even the usual Money Cat becomes a Money Pig. This is the only place in Singapore you can litter without being fined. So candy papers, coconut shells, plastic cups, etc. are seen from people’s hands to the floor.

This experience is unique, very different from China. First, we won’t sweat in Chinese New Year, it is winter time. Second, there are not that many different languages surrounding you, English, Singlish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay … you name it they speak it.

I may feel lonely on New Year’s Eve though. While everyone else is having the big Chinese banquet (tuan yuan fan), I might be eating instant noodle at home. Never mind, these are part of the experience. I know what to treasure more after all these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home