Sunday, April 15, 2007

Work work and more work

This week has gone passed like hell! I feel like the whole week I have been pushed to rush with everything, I did not even have a break to take a toilet break: rush to work as early as 6.30am, rush to finish a monitoring report, rush to reply endless emails, rush to go home as late as 9pm (and continue to work at home), rush to have a shower, rush to brush my teeth, rush to sleep, etc. My nerve system is tended in high alert all the time; I even dreamt of work while I was sleeping. Here is Singapore, how can I complain?

I am now working as a healthcare PR - the toughest area in PR practice. If I can survive in this firm for one year, PR path should not be rough in the forth seeing future. At this stage, work like hell plus long hours and peanut pay is ineluctable.

The most frustrated part of the week is that my stupid laptop has broken down while I needed it the most to work from home. My English system has advanced cancer while my Chinese system dies completely after installing an antivirus software provided by my dad. I was in such an agitated state to call him at mid-night and had a big quarrel with him. I don't think I will talk to him again in the next few months.

Our company held a media party on Wednesday night, inviting journalists from all the Singapore publications to come for drinks, free food and chit-chat with our PR practices. Journalists are human beings; they cover and disseminate news, then will go have fun and get drunk. They are just a bit louder, can drink a bit more and will go to Zouk on a Wednesday night whereas they have to be at work by 9am the next day. There are also no lack of sleazy old dudes going around fondling girls and boosting their spectacular moments in their news life. Whoever they are, it is always interesting to meet people behind the scenes, to understand better how news is made and spinned under their pens.

On Tuesday night, I went to see this long anticipating musical performance “the Phantom of the Opera” shown in Singapore’s infamous Esplanade theatre. I bought the ticket at SGD$97, that is equivalent to RMB¥500, yet I was still sitting quite far away from the stage! Kristy has the best Opera voice I have ever heard, mellow and fascinating. I was also impressed by their skills to change from one scene to another in as short as five seconds. Dry ice was utilised a couple of times to bring out a stage “river”, which I initially thought they would use real water despite the difficulty to achieve on stage. I still give it a thumb’s up although I still

I had been learning and acting to be a kindly person in my year’s in Optus’, it was such a lovely environment that you were never afraid to show your true color. Throwing straight from such an innocent environment into Singapore, I have made several mistakes from being myself. I have seen and heard nasty stories among people, and, gradually, am learning to cover myself in protective armors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home